Al Jazeera exclusive: Yasser Arafat was poisoned with polonium
· Swiss scientists have found at least 18 times the normal levels of polonium in Yasser Arafat’s rib, pelvis and in soil stained with his decaying organs.
· Former Palestinian leader was poisoned with polonium levels of up to 84 per cent.
· Al Jazeera will broadcast a documentary revealing details of the investigation on Sunday 10 November at 1900 GMT.
Doha, 6 November 2013 – Studies obtained exclusively by Al Jazeera reveal Swiss scientists have discovered levels of polonium at least 18 times higher than normal in the former Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat’s ribs, pelvis and in soil that absorbed his remains.
They say their data is compatible with the theory that the Palestinian leader was poisoned with the radioactive element at a level up to 84 per cent.
David Barclay, a leading forensic pathologist now says it is almost certain the former Palestinian leader was poisoned in November 2004.
“If I was a judge and jury, this is absolutely stone cold certain. This is beyond any doubt in my opinion that it was polonium that caused the death of Yasser Arafat.”
Reacting to the findings of the Swiss investigation, Suha Arafat, the widow of the late Palestinian leader said: “When they came with the results, I’m mourning Yasser again. It’s like you just told me he died. I will not stop. Me and my daughter will go to all courts in all over the world to punish who did this crime.”
Al Jazeera obtained the 108-page report prepared by Swiss scientists who participated in the exhumation of Arafat’s body last November. The investigation was triggered by an earlier Al Jazeera investigation in July 2012.
Al Jazeera will broadcast a documentary detailing the findings of the investigation at 1900 GMT.
“What Killed Arafat” was an investigation by Al Jazeera in July 2012 which revealed Arafat’s final personal belongings – his clothes, his toothbrush, even his iconic kaffiyeh – contained abnormal levels of polonium, a rare, highly radioactive element.
Those personal effects, which were analysed at the Institut de Radiophysique in Lausanne, Switzerland, were variously stained with Arafat’s blood, sweat, saliva and urine. The tests carried out on those samples suggested that there was a high level of polonium inside his body when he died.
The findings led Suha Arafat, his widow, to ask the Palestinian Authority to exhume her late husband’s body from its grave in Ramallah in November 2012.
For further information visit http://aje.me/killingarafat
To watch Al Jazeera news package visit http://aje.me/killingarafat2
To download the report: http://aje.me/arafatreport
To follow the story on social media #killingarafat
Watch Al Jazeera on:
UK: Freeview Ch. 83; Virgin Ch. 622; Sky Guide 514; Freesat Ch. 203
South Africa: DSTV Ch. 406; TopTV Ch. 401
India: Dish TV Ch. 618; Tata Sky Ch. 518
Australia: Foxtel Ch. 651; Fetch TV Ch. 187
New Zealand: Sky Ch. 90; Freeview Ch. 16
- Study Suggests Yasser Arafat Was Poisoned! (altahrir.wordpress.com)
- Arafat may have been poisoned with Polonium 210 – Lancet claims (stratrisks.com)
- Arafat poisoning claim backed by journal (aljazeera.com)
- Yasir Arafat’s death report completed (worldbulletin.net)
- Palestinian Authority receives forensics reports on Arafat’s death (occupiedpalestine.wordpress.com)
- Arafat poisoned to death: Medical journal (disclose.tv)
- Swiss radiation experts find polonium on Yasser Arafat clothing (thenewstribe.com)