Hezbollah Likely to Respond to Bombing of Iranian Embassy in Lebanon
November 21, 2013 08:30 AM Eastern Standard Time
WASHINGTON–(BUSINESS WIRE)–The bombing this week of the Iranian embassy in Lebanon will likely spark increased activity by Hezbollah in Syrian border towns, says Institute for the Study of War (ISW) analyst Isabel Nassief.
The ISW analyst points out that the attack was a reprisal for Iranian support for the government of Bashar al-Assad. Iran is also the major sponsor for Hezbollah, and thus the militant organization is likely to respond to the provocation. Although sectarian tensions have been exacerbated by the involvement of Lebanese players such as Hezbollah in the Syrian conflict, none of the stakeholders wants to see an end to the truce that has preserved a semblance of stability in Lebanon. Therefore, Nassief argues, Hezbollah is likely to minimize violence in Lebanese territory.
Nassief, who focuses on Syrian politics and security at ISW, speculates that a heavy security deployment by Hezbollah in Beirut is likely. While it is possible that Hezbollah could retaliate directly against areas supportive of the rebels in Lebanon, it is more probable that it will increase its tempo of operations in the Syrian border towns of Qalamoun.
The Institute for the Study of War (ISW) is a non-partisan, non-profit, public policy research organization. ISW advances an informed understanding of military affairs through reliable research, trusted analysis and innovative education. It is committed to improving the nation’s ability to execute military operations and respond to emerging threats in order to achieve U.S. strategic objectives. Visit us at http://www.understandingwar.org.
The Institute for the Study of War
Maggie Obriwin, 202-293-5550 x205.
- Beirut Bombings Pull Lebanon Further Into Syrian War (huffingtonpost.com)
- Hezbollah makes big gains in Syrian war offensive (upi.com)
- Hezbollah calls for calm after Iranian embassy bombing (scooprocket.com)
- Fear of more bombings grips Lebanon (dailystar.com.lb)
- Saudi urges citizens to leave tense Lebanon (kansascity.com)
- Saudi urges citizens to leave tense Lebanon (star-telegram.com)
- Lebanon’s Hezbollah holds funeral for Iran Embassy bombing dead, pledges continued Syria fight (foxnews.com)
- Funerals Held in Lebanon for Iran Embassy Victims (nytimes.com)
- Hezbollah calls for calm after bombing of Iranian embassy in Beirut (haaretz.com)